04 December 2007

Name your dog Muhammad

The Sudanese government released Gillian Gibbons, who was imprisoned for allowing her students to name a teddy bear Muhammad. If it weren't for British intervention, she might have gotten 40 lashes or even faced the death penalty. I guess it offends Muslims when inanimate objects are named Muhammad.

Which is why I now name pretty much everything Muhammad. I named my bike Muhammad, and my favorite rocking chair. And my laptop. I just wish I had a teddy bear. Oh well, maybe Santa will bring me one for Christmas. (Some brave person should sell "Muhammad" teddy bears. She'd probably make a fortune before getting beheaded.)

But the best thing to name Muhammad is a dog.

Muhammad didn't like dogs much. He thought that they were dirty and evil (black ones especially). He said that angels refuse to enter a house if there's dog a inside, and that whatever good deeds a person might do are undone by owning a dog.

So do a good deed that can't be undone. Name your dog Muhammad. (I think I will, if I can talk my wife into letting me have one.)

3 comments:

Anon said...

This post made me laugh out loud. Hopefully the wrong crowd doesn't see it, though. Forget Danish newspapers: that dog may just be the most blasphemous picture possible in the eyes of conservative Muslims.

It seemed like in the coverage that I saw, most Muslims in the world don't actually believe the woman should get 40 lashes or prison time, which goes to show maybe there is still some hope for the world.

Brucker said...

You know, it's funny, but even though I think this was an overreaction, I've rethought my position on the matter. That is to say, I had often said that if I had a son, I'd like to name him Muhammad, as I think it's just a nice name. Now, I'm realizing that if something like this creates such an uproar, it would be rather disrespectful to do something like that.

I do like to try to be respectful of others' beliefs whether I agree with them or not. Still, the whole teddy bear incident is blown way out of proportion.

Satantiago said...

Ouch! Rejected by his own child wife. I guess that deserved a nice spanking.

From Bukhari Vol. 1, #490

Narrated 'Aisha: "The things which annul the prayers were mentioned before me. They said, "Prayer is annulled by a dog, a donkey and a woman (if they pass in front of the praying people)." I said, "You have made us (i.e. women) dogs. I saw the Prophet praying while I used to lie in my bed between him and the Qibla. Whenever I was in need of something, I would slip away, for I disliked to face him."